On Wednesday 26 May 2004 07:23 pm, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
> On May 25, 2004 20:08, David B. Williams wrote:
> > I've been down this path before and as usual I can't for the life of me
> > remember what it was I did to fix it. So any help is appreciated.
> >
> > The bank that I use for my personal accounts will accept Opera as the
> > browser just fine. The bank that I use for my business accounts will not.
> >
> > I moved to Opera under 9.1 because it worked with both banks. However, it
> > didn't work just right with the business bank at first and I could get it
> > around the error and continue anyway.
> >
> > I installed 10.0 and the problem is back.
> >
> > I have started by enabling everything, setting the id to MSIE6.0 and have
> > java installed with a valid path. I always get the error that my sign on
> > name or my passwork are incorrect.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Sometimes you just have to lie to the site about your browser identity.
> It's not uncommon (though improving) for a site to have javascript that
> instead of checking "is feature x supported" before using feature x, does
> something stupid like "is browser IE or Netscape".
>
> Often if you ask to see the page source you can see the offending code.
> Don't know how to do this in Opera (never used it), but every other browser
> I've used supports this.
>
> If you see poor code like this you can ask the bank to fix it (good luck!).
> But at least in Mozilla and Konqueror, there's a place to configure it to
> send a different browser id string for specific sites.
>
> I had to do this with Konqueror  for one of my credit card companies. They
> have the following embedded in their web page:
>
> <script language="JavaScript">
> <!--
>       var agt=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
>       var is_major = parseInt(navigator.appVersion);
>       var is_nav  = ((agt.indexOf('mozilla')!=-1) &&
> (agt.indexOf('spoofer')==-1) && (agt.indexOf('compatible') == -1) &&
> (agt.indexOf('hotjava')==-1)); var is_nav6up = (is_nav && (is_major >= 5));
>       var is_gecko = (agt.indexOf('gecko') != -1);
>       var is_ie        = ((agt.indexOf("msie") != -1) && (agt.indexOf("opera") ==
> -1));
>
>       if (is_ie || is_nav6up || is_gecko) { //IE + Mozilla
>
> You can see from this that they will accept IE, Mozilla, Hotjava or Opera
> (and maybe Netscape, not sure), but not Konqueror. Once I told Konqueror to
> pretend it was Mozilla, I was fine.
>
> Of course, sometimes when you tell it to pretend, it then runs into
> something it doesn't support and gives interesting behaviour ;^}.

I have tried all of the "hints" from Opera and none work.
I did leave a message with the bank that they should allow Opera, Mozilla,
etc. etc. and reported the issue to Opera.
I know that I get some errors with Opera when it tries to display the page.
I will keep at it.
Thanks for the help.
DBW

--

 ( )_( )
 ( 0 0 )

Never argue with an idiot.

They drag you to their level and then beat you with experience.