On Friday 28 May 2004 03:08, Terence Golightly wrote:
> List,
>
> Where do I begin?  First was having no local mail delivery.  I thought
> I'd install Postfix. So I went to Derek Jennings web site.  Nice, but I
> just have a standalone machine with an ADSL connection. I read some of
> the docs setup some aliases for root and no go. I no get mail. My log
> files showed rejected messages and a running of the mailq command
> provided the following:
>
> 742CE99E64      342 Thu May 27 01:01:00  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                    (connect to myhouse.net[220.80.108.83]: Connection
> refused)
>                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Anyway to get local mail I discovered that port 25 needed to be opened
> on my firewall. So modified the shorewall rules file to permit a tcp
> connection on port 25 to the fw and into the machine:
>
> ###########################################################################
>### #ACTION            SOURCE  DEST    PROTO   DEST    SOURCE  ORIGINAL        RATE
> USER/
> #                                     PORT    PORT(S) DEST            LIMIT   GROUP
> ACCEPT                net     fw      icmp    8
> ACCEPT                fw      net     icmp
> ACCEPT                net     fw      tcp     25
> ACCEPT                fw      net     tcp
> #LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOV
>
> Hope this doesn't compromise my security?
>
> Well.. I finally started getting mail from the terminal and into evo 1.4
> after finally figuring out delivery was local by mbox or
> /var/spool/mail/terryg. I still however get the above rejected messages
> and have tried to look at postfix docs, but there is alot there and I'm
> want to keep it simple right now. So how can I fix the rejected message
> and get back to that notion that my postfix mailer works? I have
> enclosed my /etc/postfix/main.cf file.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> Terry

Hi Terry
I'll revise my page to make it clear that Port 25 needs to be open in the
firewall. I know others have been caught out like that. No it will not
compromise your security. If you want to receive mails with SMTP then port 25
has to be open.

As for your rejected message. Postfix needs to know the domains it has to
receive mail for, and which networks/domains it should relay mail for.
Take a look at the mydestination  parameter.

mydestination should list all the possible permutations of how mail could be
addressed e.g.
mydestination= localhost, tbox.myhouse.net, myhouse.net, $myhostname,
localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain

I am a bit confused by your post. You say messages are being delivered, yet
you are getting rejected messages?
Did you set up an alias for root in /etc/postfix/aliases (and run postalias
afterwards) ?  I wonder if it is just mail for root which is getting
rejected.
(Note: In postfix it is impossible to send mail to the normal root mail
spoolfile because postfix runs 'chroot' and cannot see the root spoolfile.)

If you look in /var/log/mail/info  warnings and errors you should see more
detailed messages of what is going wrong.

HTH
derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net