On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 04:15, Derek Jennings wrote:

<snip>
Derek,

I did a little more snooping.  See below:

> Hi Terry
> I'll revise my page to make it clear that Port 25 needs to be open in the
> firewall. I know others have been caught out like that. No it will not
> compromise your security. If you want to receive mails with SMTP then port 25
> has to be open.
>
> As for your rejected message. Postfix needs to know the domains it has to
> receive mail for, and which networks/domains it should relay mail for.
> Take a look at the mydestination  parameter.
>
> mydestination should list all the possible permutations of how mail could be
> addressed e.g.
> mydestination= localhost, tbox.myhouse.net, myhouse.net, $myhostname,
> localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# postconf | grep mydestination
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination
$virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps
$virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains
$canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps
$relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks
relay_domains = $mydestination

Which file do I use to set this variable?  I was using webmin to attempt
administration.

> I am a bit confused by your post. You say messages are being delivered, yet
> you are getting rejected messages?

I am getting mail from the local system saying that the message was
rejected.

> Did you set up an alias for root in /etc/postfix/aliases (and run postalias
> afterwards) ?

Yes.

> I wonder if it is just mail for root which is getting
> rejected.
> (Note: In postfix it is impossible to send mail to the normal root mail
> spoolfile because postfix runs 'chroot' and cannot see the root spoolfile.)
>

> If you look in /var/log/mail/info  warnings and errors you should see more
> detailed messages of what is going wrong.

May 28 17:59:07 tbox postfix/qmgr[12289]: 742CE99E64:
from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, size=342, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
May 28 17:59:07 tbox postfix/smtp[8794]: connect to
myhouse.net[220.80.108.83]: Connection refused (port 25)

^^^^ the mydestination variable should mention this, shouldn't it?

Thanks,

Terry

Terry Golightly ... [EMAIL PROTECTED] ... Pittsburgh, Pa
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (Official) for i586 kernel
2.6.3-9mdk-i686-up-4GB
18:26:43 up 2 days, 1:07, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.24, 0.12

The time spent on any item of the agenda [of a finance committee] will
be in inverse proportion to the sum involved. -- C.N. Parkinson
# Default aliases file for postfix
#
# this file should be in /etc or in /etc/postfix but if you want it in
# /etc/postfix you'll have to adjust your /etc/postfix/main.cf file accordingly
#
# Aliases in this file will NOT be expanded in the header from
# mail, but WILL be visible over networks or from /bin/mail.
#
# Following alias is required by the mail protocol, RFC 822 (and by RFC2142)
# Set it to the address of a HUMAN who deals with this system's mail problems.
#
# For various security reasons, postfix WILL NOT deliver mail as root, so
# ensure that the root alias is aliased to a HUMAN user, as otherwise
# mail may get delivered to the $default_privs user (nobody).
postmaster: root

# Many mailers use this address to represent the empty SMTP return
# path
MAILER-DAEMON:  postmaster

# Common aliases for system accounts.
bin:            root
daemon:         root
games:          root
ingres:         root
nobody:         root
system:         root
toor:           root
foo:            root
falken:         root

# Well-known aliases.
admin:          root
manager:        root
dumper:         root
operator:       root

# traps to catch security attacks
decode:         root
moof:           root
moog:           root

# The following aliases are required by RFC 2142
info:           staff
marketing:      staff
sales:          staff
support:        staff

# Standard aliases also defined by RFC 2142
abuse:          postmaster
# reports of network infrastructure difficulties
noc:            root
# address to report secuirty problems
security:       root
# DNS administrator (DNS soa records should use this)
hostmaster:     root
# Usenet news service administrator
news:           usenet
usenet:         root
# http/web service administrator
www:            webmaster
webmaster:      root
# UUCP service administrator
uucp:           root
# FTP administrator (especially anonymouse FTP)
ftp:            root

# Commonly used group aliases:
#
staff:          postmaster
office:         postmaster
all:            postmaster
tech:           postmaster
ops:            postmaster

# Person who should get root's mail.  This alias
# must exist.
# CHANGE THIS LINE to an account of a HUMAN
root: terryg

# Note to the user: You must create the alias above!
# The root alias *must* exist under postfix because
# postfix runs as a non-privileged user and cannot
# touch a spool file which is UID/GID root
# The mapping to the postfix user is to ensure that root's mail
# doesn't get lost on a system installed out of the box.