Aidan Holmes wrote:
et wrote:

yes, of course, this is GNU-linux, and GNU-linux really does work.

I think I miss understood... you want to do this without using the telphone company at all???? this (and I ain't never considered it before, since a serial to serial cable would do the a much faster transer, as would a lpt2lpt connection

so you want the customers modem to call into your modem?
as far as really tranfering files, i think there are better ways,,, you might consider reading man pppd, as that seems to me to be the place that explains a few of the switches, and stuff, for ppp.

et, thanks for your man pppd suggestion, I'll get stuck into it as soon as business slows down a bit. Just to clear up my intentions, this would be a good setup, (I feel), for testing customers modems (frequent lightning strikes out here in Rura Western Australia), and for small internet downloads that really don't warrant the time to set up the machine on our LAN. For example, a quick virus definition update before scanning the machine. To set up a second Dial up connection in Windows takes about 15seconds and I'm away.

-Aidan.

Unless the phone system in your area is radicaly different from what we have here in the US, you will not be able to get a 56K connection modem to modem. You need a digital phone line and modem on your end to make it work. Some (most?) ISDN modems support this. You can expect to get a 33.3k connection between standard modems. In other words, they will talk to each other at the "upload" speed of the modems, and not the download speed.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!