James Henry Maiewski wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the input, I forgot that I myself had started the "at
boot" thing, at least it doesn't take an age (or 45 secs., whichever
comes first) to boot [although any information on how to teach it to
not try to start the sound (since it can't seem to detect the
soundcard) would be helpful].

According to tuxmobil.org/, the card "works" (on one hand good news,
but on the other hand, it ain't working).  Since the "tips" page on
that site mentioned unknown modems, and my modem is under the
unknow/other rubric on the hardware lookup, I thought that I might
need to:

"put the modified output of cardctl ident into
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts accordingly and bind the serial_cs module to
it."

this sounds like a lead until cardctl ident returns "no product info
 available" (a more astute person might have espected this since all
the "ATI" values were returned as blank, but hope springs eternal).
cardctl status says that both function 0 and function 1 on socket 0
are "[ready]," and I don't beleive I have two sockets, I have hope
still, proving the point.

This is saying that both functions of the card is socket 0 are working.
So it thinks that the modem and the ethernet parts are working.

My newest theory invoves the "device" section of the kppp options, the only time I got a modem query to do anything other than reply that the modem is "busy" is when I select /dev/ttyS2 as the device. I notice that there are many, many other options, could this be a clue?

It sounds like the modem is on the third serial port. Does this laptop have 2 serial ports, or 1 serial port, and an I/R port that is enabled? If so, that would explain /dev/ttyS2.
One thing you could try - as root, run minicom, pick port /dev/ttyS2, and see if you can talk to the modem. You can try a couple of commands to see if the modem responds.
AT
ATI

If the modem responds to them, then you can ether use /dev/ttyS2 as your device for ppp, or link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS2

With an advance of thanks, James Henry Maiewski

I have found that some cardbus devices do not respond to cardctl info or cardctl ident with anything usefully. Cardbus devices look like PCI cards to the system. Anyway, I hope this helps some.

Mikkel