On Saturday 05 June 2004 03:06, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Friday 04 June 2004 07:27 am, Richard Gelling wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I at present am running Suse 9.1 on my desktop PC. I am having a few
> > problems with it, which I don't seem to be able to solve. So I am hoping
> > to install Mandrake 10 Powerpack which I have ordered form Amazon. I was
> > wondering if anyone has had problems with USB pen drives with Mandrake
> > using the 2.6 kernel. Under Suse it either isn't recognised or it locks
> > the machine up completely. I have tried two makes of USB pen drive and
> > both have the same result. I have also had the same problem with two
> > different PCs both running Suse. This USB pen worked fine with Suse 9.0
> > and Slackware 9.1, so I think the drive is ok. I think it something to do
> > with the new submount facility in the 2.6 kernel.
> >
> > Also even with modifying the fstab file to do away with the submount on
> > my floppy drive I can only write to it as root, I have changed the
> > permissions etc. and have changed the fstab to what it was under Suse
> > 9.0.
> >
> > So I was wondering before I wipe my Hard drive again, could someone tell
> > me if they have had problems with USB Pen drives under Mandrake 10 ( 2.6
> > kernel ) and if they have been able to use the floppy drive as a normal
> > user?
> >
> > Also the only way to burn DVD's with K3b on Suse 9.1 is to umount the
> > drive manually from the command line first before starting K3b up, and
> > then mounting it again to use the disc. Which is a bit long winded (like
> > this post!).
> >
> > I have installed Mandrake community on a laptop, but didn't get chance to
> > try the pen drive out. But I was impressed with the difference in speed
> > between Mandrake and Suse. So hopefully this problem doesn't occur with
> > Mandrake.
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> > Richard G.
>
> My comp will not boot if a usb ext HD or a pen drive is attached. The HP
> printer does not seem to be a problem. ????

Once booted does your USB pen work?  On Suse It either gives a blank screen or
locks the PC up completely, and that's with two different makes of pen drive.
Both worked fine under Suse 9.0,  Unfortunately I have got a lot of downloads
on my hard drive, so a reinstall is a bit of a bind, but if I knew the USB
and floppy worked fine with Mandrake 10, I would bite the bullet and wipe my
drive.

Richard G.

--
Registered Linux User: 256848