On Tuesday 08 Jun 2004 04:32, Bob Marly wrote:
> >Do you have more than 1 network interface?
>
> I have only one nic.
>
> >Take a look at /etc/sysconfig/network
> >You should have the line
> >GATEWAYDEV=eth0    (assuming you connect via eth0)
>
> All it sais is "networking=yes"
>
> >Also open a terminal enter 'su' (without quotes) to become root user,
> > enter 'ifconfig'
>
> It only lists loopback interface information.  It sais nothing about eth0
>
> I noticed two more things this bootup that may be helpful.:
>
> During bootup:  "interface eth0:  failed"

Well there is your problem. The Ethernet is not coming up. If eth0 is not
listed when you do ifconfig, then it means the driver has not loaded.
Do you see the ethernet listed in the MandrakeControlCentre>>HardwareHardware
list?
What driver does it use? What is your hardware?

It is possible that a BIOS problem could be preventing the driver loading. The
first step in resolving BIOS issues is in
MandrakeControlCentre>Boot>BootLoader Uncheck the 'Enable ACPI' box and check
the 'Force noAPIC' box  Click Next>Finish, then reboot.

On the next boot you will not be using the BIOS APIC or ACPI features.
(ACPI is power saving for laptops, and APIC is extended interrupts.  APIC is
the most likely to cause problems loading drivers.)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org