On Wednesday 09 Jun 2004 22:28, Jason Wilson wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> First off, I'm running the latest and greatest Mandrake Linux 10.0
> Official. I seem to be experiencing difficulty getting a library installed
> in /usr/lib. I downloaded AIM 1.5 for Linux and I cannot install it because
> I have an older libstdc++ libary in /usr/lib.  When I try to install the
> AIM RPM package, I get a message saying this: "aim-1.5.286-1.i386 cannot be
> installed due to unsatisfied libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2).  Apparently I have
> an older version of this library.  I tried downloading this version of the
> library and the system refuses to let me download directly to /usr/lib
> saying access is denied.  What can I do about this and how do I get the new
> library installed?
>
> Please help.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jason
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

First thing for newbies to learn is .
"Use URPMI to install software"

If you try to install RPM packages built for other distros you will *very
Quickly* fall into dependency hell.

Virtually any package you might be interested in is available as a Mandrake
Linux RPM package installable using urpmi.

Urpmi sorts out all these dependency issues for you. To learn about urpmi read
the section on the Twiki in my signature.

urpmi uses software repositories where you can download literally thousands of
packages.

As it happens AIM is not one of them. One reason AIM is not available as a
Mandrake package is because compared to other alternatives it is shite.
If you want AOL instant messenger compatibility install gaim or kopete using
your Software install GUI. They are miles better than AIM.

If you try to get around the dependency issue by trying to upgrade libstdc you
will almost certainly break your system. (I have been there. I have the
T-shirt)

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net