When starting 10.0 up, I got the "no init found - try passing init= option to kernel"

Last time I booted everything was fine and there were no problems during shutdown.
After searching and finding several "solutions" with no follow up by the original
poster, I decided to try what sounded like the best advice... download RIP-7.9, burn
to disc and use gpart which the poster said solved his identical problem.

So now I have the file but I have three questions:

1. If I am on the right track, how do I burn this .iso to a CD - the properties say
it's a .iso.bin file. Easy CD Creator doesn't see it as an .iso and I'm not finding
any info on *.iso.bin files with google.

2. Does anyone think I might be on the wrong track?

3. If so, what do I do to determine what's gone wrong?

Any pointers??