Curt wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:34:52 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It is hard to say if you are on the right track.  The problem is
that there are several things that could cause this.  One is a bad
hard drive.  Another is wrong BIOS settings for the drive.  But
this usualy happens when you more the drive to a different
computer, or change BIOS settings.  It also happens with a
corrupted file system, or if the partition table is damaged.

Partition table damage, and wrong drive settings show up on boot if
you watch the bootup messages, and hit ScrLK (scroll lock) when it
shows the drive partition table.  Unfortunitly, both look about the
same - no partitions, or wrong ones.

If it is a corrupted disk, you may be able to boot by adding append="init=/bin/bash" to the boot command.

Wher do I find the boot command?.... lilo.conf?
My other message explains (I hope) my confusion with the rescue
function.

You should be able to access it from the LILO boot screen. Before bootsplash, you would hit shift to get the LILO prompt, and then tye in the boot name, and the command. Something like "linux init=/bin/bash". With grub, you highlight the entry, and hit e (for edit) and edit the entry for the way you want it to boot this time. I have not tried it with LILO and bootsplash, but highlighting an entry and hitting e instead of return will probably work.

But booting from this CD, or using the install CDs, is probably the
simplest way to see what is going on.

Got frustrated and decided to "install" wiping the root partition but
it wouldn't let me get that far.

This really strikes me as odd, as I hadn't even booted mkd for 3 days
- I was using Windows during that time <hangs head & looks
appropriately ashamed> so only LILO was used as far as Linux is
concerned.
I don't get it.

Is this a duel boot machine? If so, it sounds like you may have a virus that messed up the partition table. If not, it sounds like a hardware problem. What kind of errors does install give you? It probably doesn't like the partition table, and doesn't want to risk wiping everything out. If you are booting from the CD, try the repair option, or the expert option. (I don't remember the exact entries.)

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!