----- Original Message -----
From: "Marv Boyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 5:07 PM
Subject: [newbie] Uninstalling programs compiled from source

> Hello, all. I have so far had absolutely rotten luck getting much of
> anything I've compiled from source to work on my Mandrake 9.2 machine.
> Luckily, I've either a) decided I can live without the latest
> bleeding-edge versions of my favorite apps; or b) been able to find
> Mdk-ready RPMs on rpm.pbone.net and/or RPMFind for most of the stuff I
> want to use. It really bugs me that I can't use 90% of what I've tried
> to install from source, as compiling and installing software the way _I_
> want it was one of the big draws of Linux in the first place; but I've
> read everything I can find on the subject and still haven't the vaguest
> notion of what I might be doing wrong.

I recently got a copy of Linux Magazine's July 2004 issue. I'm new at all
this stuff myself but there are several articles you might find helpful in
the magazine. One is called Perfect Configuration. It deals with Configure
scripts and possible problems. The other is called Hand-Built. It deals with
errors from running Make and Make-Install. Both articles offer tips on how
to straighten out those error messages you get. The configuration article
has a chart that lists certain packages that it says you should have on your
system if you want to compile programs.

On  their website they publish some of the articles from the latest issues
and, incidently, eventually all of the articles from the magazine show up
there. Their address is www.linux-magazine.com.

Eric Jackson

----