On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 16:03, frankieh wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> You can have more then one install of Perl on the machine,
> in fact /usr/bin/perl is a symlink, to a symlink that points to the
> current version.
>
> My suggestion, is to install a newer Perl, and change the new one to a
> different location.
> So for scripts that need 5.8.4, set it up so the scripts start with
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl
>
> and put a symlink there linking to 5.8.4
> since the mandrake scripts will all be using /usr/bin/perl they will
> still work.
>
> It occurs to me that mandrake really needs something like backports.org
> for debian.
> (where you can get new backported packages to older distro's like woody.)

I think it's too late, mate. Broke OO, and a few other things already -
like Apache spit the dummy, and SpamAssassin spit the dummy, Razor and
Pyzor spit the dummy...

Currently I'm taking a break and going to try to get
"perl-base-5.8.4-5mdk.rpm" install (yeah, it's for 10+, but hell, since
I'm halfway there, might was well walk the wild side)

If it break even further, well, I'll blame y'all.

stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com