On Saturday 19 June 2004 03:40 am, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
| On Saturday 19 June 2004 04:33, JRH wrote:
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I gotta buy a new printer, as my old HP 510 has finally died.
| >
| > I've got my eye on a Lexmark USB version (cos it's cheap!) and my
|
| neighbour
|
| > has one, and it works ok for him, but on Windows.
| >
| > Has anyone had any Mandrake and USB printer experience? Will it work
|
| on 10CE
|
| > without a huge amount of upheaval?
| >
| > I dont want to go buy it and find I gotta go into Windoze to use

STAY AWAY FROM LEXMARK!!!!!  They are pieces of &%*^.  The reason they are
dirt cheap is because the ink is extremely costly--what you save on the
printer you will pay out in ink.  Get an Epson or an HP and buy aftermarket
cartridges.  The drivers for both are pretty good, but I think the HP is
somewhat better, and the aftermarket carts are better, IMO.  My 940 and 1120
work very well, and the newer ones will probably be o.k. with a driver for an
older model (I set up an 1160 Photo with a dj960 driver and it worked
fine--just didn't have all the functionality a "real" 1160 driver would
have).  As someone else mentioned, the Linux drivers aren't as good and lack
features that the Win drivers have.