Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
|> Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
|> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
|> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
|>
|> ~   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
|> /dev/hda1   *           1        1916    15390238+   7  HPFS/NTFS
|> /dev/hda2            3185        4864    13494600    5  Extended
|> /dev/hda5            3185        3949     6143728+  83  Linux
|> /dev/hda6            3949        4013      511528+  82  Linux swap
|> /dev/hda7            4013        4864     6839248+  83  Linux
|> [EMAIL PROTECTED] chuck]#
|>

| Ok - the section of your drive from 1917 to 3184 is not "owned" by any
| partition.  You have two choices here.  You can create a primary
| partition out of it, or you can create a second extended partition out
| of it.
| If you create a primary partition out if it, the numbers of the Linux
| partitions will not change.  You will just add  /dev/hda3.  But I am
not
| sure how XP will deal with it.  I think it will be fine with it.  You
| have probably have to create the partition in Linux, but I would try
| using fdisk in Windows, and see if it will let you create a FAT32
| primary partition.  Windows is always happier if you use its tools to
| create things.  If it wants to create an extended partition, and  a
| logical drive, you may have problems booting Linux after that, until
you
| edit /etc/fstab.  I do not know what will happen with the logical
| partition numbers, but I suspect they will change.
|
| You can also create the primary partition in Linux, change the type to
| FAT32, and then format it in Windows.  This is usually better then
| trying to format it in Linux.  (It can be done, but Windows isn't
always
| happy about it.)  I use fdisk or cfdisk (does Mandrake include cfdisk?)
| for this.  You can try doing it in harddrake, or I can give you step by
| step directions later, when I am back on my Linux box.  If I do it off
| the top of my head, I will forget something.

Thanks ... appreciate the info, and the time taken.  That gives me a
little bit better idea of what's going on and what's needed, and
should help me do a little bit more research on my own, too, so that I
can let the idea "percolate" a little before I plunge.  :)  As I said,
XP is new territory for me, as well, so I've got some learning to do
on both sides of the OS "fence."

In the words of the Governor of some state or another (I forget
which), "I'll be back."

- --
Chuck MATTSEN / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / Mahnomen, MN / RLU #346519
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Cooker) for i586 kernel 2.6.3-9mdk

- --
Random Thought/Quote for this Message:
~     He who laughs, lasts.