On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 21:39, Lord Storm wrote:
> Well I run the bellow system. I had windows 2k pro with NTFS and some how
> mandrake purged Win2k from Partitions and windows would not reinstall.
> Operating system error or something like that it was about 2 weeks ago. Not
> that I realy care now, but SOT linux did it to me as well. 9.2 Didnt do it.
> So I was wondering if it is creeping into the NTFS partition managagement
> tree.
>
> I have downloaded the maxtor tool for low level format to try and fix the hard
> drive latter.

Storm, old china plate, Windows ALWAYS needs to be installed FIRST - no
matter what - it's a Microsoft thing - it will rewrite your partition
tables no matter what - and if you hose up your Windows installation
after mucking around with GNU/linux, well, you're going to have to blast
it all out and start again.

For whatever reason, the MS family of OS's refuses to be on anything -
or rather, boot from anything except for HDA1 (or the entire HDA for
that matter); by common practise, Windows is install first, then
everything else after that. Can't get around it.

stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com