> ah, so there is still an X display running on :0, so you need to
> completely shut down the X server.
>
> I *believe* you can do that by getting to a command prompt and
> typing 'init 3'.
>
> This is the problem with using a graphical login, unnecessary
> headaches. I would highly recommend going into MCC and under Boot
> --> Drakboot you can uncheck the'start graphical blah-blah at
> boot'.
>
> This way, it is much much easier to try out different WM's,
> Desktops, etc.

I agree: i love init 3.

Most of the time i want to "just log in" and have x start up,
though, so what i do is have the .bash_profile check the tty #.  If
i log into tty1, x starts automatically, and then the pekwm start
file calls  startup_progs which fires up sylpheed and firefox.

If i log into tty2, i get just the console.  It's the best of both
worlds: laziness at log in and no graphical boot.

eric

-------------------------------------

#.bash_profile

if [ "$(tty)" = "/dev/vc/1" ] ; then
    export STARTING_TTY="1"
    startx 1> out.startx 2>&1 &
fi

# pekwm start file

if [ $STARTING_TTY = "1" ] ; then
    nohup startup_progs > ~/bin/startup_progs.out &
fi

--
Mandrake HowTo's & More:          http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org