On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:02:08 -0500
Hoyt Bailey disseminated the following:

> > > This way, it is much much easier to try out different WM's,
> > > Desktops, etc.
> >
> > I agree: i love init 3.
> >
> > Most of the time i want to "just log in" and have x start up,
> > though, so what i do is have the .bash_profile check the tty #.  If
> > i log into tty1, x starts automatically, and then the pekwm start
> > file calls  startup_progs which fires up sylpheed and firefox.
> >
> > If i log into tty2, i get just the console.  It's the best of both
> > worlds: laziness at log in and no graphical boot.
> >
> > eric
> Come on fellows the horse gave way to a horse & carriage, that gave way
> to a horseless carriage, that gave way to an automobile.  Do you really
> want to go back to starting a computer by entering the start sequence
> in binary.

Not a step back, IMO, just serves different purposes. Hell, some people never
even *leave* textmode, esp if they are using a machine with little or no
resources to run an X server.

It is, as I said before, a *lot* easier to customize your WM and its behaviour
(esp at startup) from runlevel 3.

In my case, I have a startup script that looks like this:

xset m 50/10 3 &
xset b off
xset +fp $HOME/.fonts &
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 7 6 4 5"
rox -p=mypinboard
xscreensaver &
pypanel &
~/cvs2/pekwm/src/pekwm

Not sure how in hell you would do that with a graphical login manager :-\

'Sides, yer not doing much different loggin' in in text mode than you are with a
graphical login, just no fancy splash screen, or whatever it's called.

Anyhow, it's all about *choice*, no?

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.orderinchaos.org
18:08:29 up 8 days, 23:32, 6 users, load average: 0.12, 0.13, 0.14