At the moment I'm on my HP Pavilion N5435 laptop, also
going through the router. It's the same problem with
the laptop, so maybe the router doesn't like Linux.
;-(  Sure hope that's not it.

The laptop only has one connection: eth0. According to
Linux, it's an Intel Express Pro 100. The collisions
line states:

collisions:0  txqueuelen: 1000

Since I have no idea what that second word means, I
thought it might be worth mentioning.

Thanks for your help. I'll log on via my desktop later
and see how it is. BTW, I didnt have network
hotplugging checked on this one, and it's as slow as
the other. I haven't checked the desktop yet.

Thanks,

Tom Ewald