Job Evers wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

<snip - see below>

If you can access the Internet,  and the setup page on the router,
then I would not worry about being able to ping it.  It could be
that the router will not respond to pings from a wireless
connection...

I wish this were the case. I think the problem might be due to
mandrake control center.  In order to setup the wireless card I did

modprobe ndiswrapper loadndisdriver blah blah blah blah iwconfig
wlan0 power off iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXX iwconfig wlan0
essid "House" ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.105 route add default gw
192.168.1.1

When I go to Mandrake Control Center to check what the internet
settings are it has different settings for wlan0 then what I manually
configured. Is there a way to maybe turn off the mcc internet
configuration, or at least point me towards what files I need to
modify to get the settings in line?

Mikkel

Dumb question time. Can you ping the router from other computers on the network?

If so, is it only the wireless connection you can not ping from?

Nope, the other computers on the network are able to ping the router wireless or not.

Are you running a firewall on the wireless computer?

I was but I just disabled it - no affect.

Can you access the Internet using the wireless connection through
the router?

Not from my computer.  Any attempt to fire up a browser just sits and
 spins.  Any attempt at pinging IP's outside of the network returns a
 "network not available" error. (Or something like that) Other
computers using the wireless connection work fine

Can you access setup on the router using the wireless connection? (Usually http://192.168.1.1)

Again, not from my computer but the other wireless computers are
okay.

You probably posted this before, but I lost it. What does
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 show? I am at a loss here -
with you able to ping other computers on the network, we know the network connection is working. About the only other thing I can think of is if your router is set up to limit Internet connections to specific IPs, or has an enforced proxy setup... I was hoping someone else would have a better idea...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!