On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> I have a Dos partition on a 2nd hard drive that I would like to access from
> Linux or Win98.  However, I can't write to it as a user, and I can't change the
> file permissions or group as root.
>
> Any idea what's up?

By default, Linux (or at least RedHat and Mandrake) do not
permit users to write to a DOS partition. However, you can
change this by adding "user" to the string describing the
dos/windows partition. i.e.
/dev/hda1     /mnt/dos          vfat   defaults, user        0 0

The above is how you'd mount a Win98 partition. Just change
the filesystem type to "fat" for a plain MSDOS (pre Win9x)
file system. OTOH, you may want to use FAT32 to address
that partition/logical drive so that you can save long file
names of the type acceptable to Linux and Win98.
        John