Thanks for the suggestion.  I edited fstab and added "user".  Didn't work.  I
finally ended up with this fstab:

/dev/hda8               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda9               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hdb1       /misc   vfat     exec,dev,suid,rw,uid=0,gid=100,umask=006 0 0
/dev/hda10              /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda11              /var                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda12              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              auto
user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  mode=0622       0 0

Now, when I do a ls -ld /misc I get:
drwxrwx--x    7 root     users       16384 Dec 31  1969 /misc

However, I still can't write to it.  And look at that date!  I don't understand
where that came from, either.

--
Be careful what you wish for...you might get it.