On July 15, 2004 20:06, Lanman wrote:
> Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
> > I've seen some people on this list having trouble getting their network
> > interfaces working. This may be unrelated, but FYI:
> >
> >     http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html
> >
> > The moral of the story is don't buy ASUS motherboards.
>
> Interesting article Ron, but like any other situation there's always
> another side to the facts. I can only speak from my experience, but
> since 1996 I've sold over 3500 PC's and servers, and with most of those,
> the boards have been Asus.
>
> Anytime I've spoken to the Asus reps, they've been very helpful and even
> told me who to speak to at their call-center. In one case, I was asked
> for my advice by one of the techs about which board to use! Later that
> same tech called me back to confirm that he had built his personal
> system and loaded Mandrake 9.2 on it without a hitch. He was very
> grateful for my advice.
>
> In all the time I've used Asus boards, I've had two problems that
> weren't related to my own errors. The A7V-133 board had a bad run of
> Chipset cooling fans (which Asus promptly replaced via overnight
> courier), and the A7V8X which had the first broadcom 4401 onboard NIC,
> and that problem was due to the fact that a proper driver module hadn't
> been built into the 2.4 kernel at that point.
>
> Even their relatively new Asrock line of boards which are a low-end
> board haven't given me one speck of hassle with Linux. These guys in the
> article may be 100% right about their experience with Asus, but I'm
> wondering if they don't actually have a defective board and need to
> concentrate on replacing it.
>
> Since the P5A, through the entire lineup of A7V's, A7N266 boards, and
> currently the P4S800 and P4P800-MX, these boards have been amazingly
> rock-solid for me, and the Asus reps I've met at the trade conferences
> have been very honest and helpful, so either these guys just got the
> wrong guy at the Asus end of the phone, or I'm the luckiest SOB on the
> planet.
>
> Just my 0.02 cents.
>
> Lanman

Well, I'm just reporting what I read. I can't really comment beyond that, not
having dealt with motherboards since the '70s (pre-IBM-PC). But I noticed
they said the ASUS boards used to work, and that this is only a recent
change.

--
Ron Hunter-Duvar
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine. Rights to use
these opinions are granted under the GNU GPL.