Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
On July 15, 2004 20:06, Lanman wrote:

Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:

I've seen some people on this list having trouble getting their network
interfaces working. This may be unrelated, but FYI:

        http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html

The moral of the story is don't buy ASUS motherboards.

Interesting article Ron, but like any other situation there's always another side to the facts. I can only speak from my experience, but since 1996 I've sold over 3500 PC's and servers, and with most of those, the boards have been Asus.

Anytime I've spoken to the Asus reps, they've been very helpful and even
told me who to speak to at their call-center. In one case, I was asked
for my advice by one of the techs about which board to use! Later that
same tech called me back to confirm that he had built his personal
system and loaded Mandrake 9.2 on it without a hitch. He was very
grateful for my advice.

In all the time I've used Asus boards, I've had two problems that
weren't related to my own errors. The A7V-133 board had a bad run of
Chipset cooling fans (which Asus promptly replaced via overnight
courier), and the A7V8X which had the first broadcom 4401 onboard NIC,
and that problem was due to the fact that a proper driver module hadn't
been built into the 2.4 kernel at that point.

Even their relatively new Asrock line of boards which are a low-end
board haven't given me one speck of hassle with Linux. These guys in the
article may be 100% right about their experience with Asus, but I'm
wondering if they don't actually have a defective board and need to
concentrate on replacing it.

Since the P5A, through the entire lineup of A7V's, A7N266 boards, and
currently the P4S800 and P4P800-MX, these boards have been amazingly
rock-solid for me, and the Asus reps I've met at the trade conferences
have been very honest and helpful, so either these guys just got the
wrong guy at the Asus end of the phone, or I'm the luckiest SOB on the
planet.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Lanman

Well, I'm just reporting what I read. I can't really comment beyond that, not having dealt with motherboards since the '70s (pre-IBM-PC). But I noticed they said the ASUS boards used to work, and that this is only a recent change.

Ron; No offense intended in my previous reply. I knew that you were just forwarding the info, and I appreciate it. I was following up on the article, and noticed that they experienced the same problem with the Network card in Windows that they had in Linux, so I'm thinking it's a bad board, which can happen to anyone.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. Could be that some additional development needs to be done to fully support the next generation of boards, chipsets and CPU's.

Thanks for the article. Keep 'em coming!

Lanman