Clint Harshaw wrote:

Todd Slater wrote:

Seems like I only post ot questions lately :(

I'm thinking about building a new computer. My needs are pretty typical
home user stuff. I want to network it (haven't decided on wired or
wireless yet), be able to watch TV on it, and possibly make dvd's from
recorded TV.

Basically I've decided I want an AMD processor and to use a SATA hard drive.
But when I go to look at mobos I'm amazed at the difference in price
from one to another. I'm really clueless about the different chipsets
and which one I'd want. Googling for a comparison doesn't help too much;
do you have to read the reports on every mobo out there?

For my last builds I used Asus and it has been rock solid; I think it
was a little pricier than other comparable boards at the time.

So, any suggestions on a mobo/chipset? What's the absolute lowest cpu
you'd go for, considering I'm a cheap bastard? (I'm fairly happy with my
500MHz amd now, I just need a project.)

TIA,
Todd

Be sure to update your ASUS BIOS when you get your pc up! I spent 3 days trying to determine why the OS would install -- had I installed the update to the BIOS, I would have had a much smoother time with the build.

Clint

My MSI K7N2 was dirt cheap in uk, and it works.
I just needed the cheapest replacement I could find for my previous mobo.
There are plenty of others though.
The sensible approach is to look through your local suppliers catalogues and look for the boards just going out of current manufacture from top name mobo manufacturers and then see which look a good bet for linux.
John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]