On Tuesday 20 July 2004 03:53 pm, Roberto Ramsis wrote:
| For the 1st time i use Partition Magic 7.0 (Win98) to make my Linux Native
| partition ,I made it primary,after "Uncompressing the kernel" the PC just
| hangs . The problem is i can't let the MDK9.2 setup wizard do it,cuz this
| way ,both windows and partition magic can never see the partition table
| again and give partition table error. Using fdisk from knoppix
| hdb1 c win95 fat32
| hdb2 f win95 Ext'd LBA
| hdb3 83 Linux
| hdb4 82 Linux Swap
| hdb5 b Win95 FAT32
| hdb6 b Win95 FAT32

The way that I would have done it:

Use partition magic to move all active Windows partitions to the front of the
drive and re-order the drive designations if necessary (C:, D:, E:, etc).
Shrink the Windows partitions to leave free space at the end of the drive.
Make the free space into a single fat32 partition.  When everything looks
right from windows and Partition Magic, uninstall partition magic.  Boot with
the Mandrake boot CD and use diskdrake to create the Linux partitions in the
unused fat32 partition at the end of the drive. Do it this way, and you won't
have to mess around with hiding partitions, etc., and LILO can handle your
boot records.

Partition Magic can be useful (I keep a copy around), but it has limitations,
one of which is that it can only create Linux ext2 and I always use and
recommend a journaling system (I use ReiserFS).  Another is, it can interact
with diskdrake and cause partition table errors.  Diskdrake is a very good
tool,  but it can mess up the Partiton Magic tables--that's why I don't leave
PM on my disks after I'm done with it.