On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:53 am, Roberto Ramsis sent these thoughts:
> For the 1st time i use Partition Magic 7.0 (Win98) to make my Linux Native
> partition ,I made it primary,after "Uncompressing the kernel" the PC just
> hangs . The problem is i can't let the MDK9.2 setup wizard do it,cuz this
> way ,both windows and partition magic can never see the partition table
> again and give partition table error. Using fdisk from knoppix
> hdb1 c win95 fat32
> hdb2 f win95 Ext'd LBA
> hdb3 83 Linux
> hdb4 82 Linux Swap
> hdb5 b Win95 FAT32
> hdb6 b Win95 FAT32

It has been sometime that I used Partition Magic 7, but certainly it gives
table errors when Diskdrake formats them, but if you want you can have it
correct them and diskdrake will either correct them again, or do nothing and
Mandrake will boot just the same.

I used partition magic 7.0 to format all the partitions on the drive, the win
98, win 2000, in my case, at the front of the drive, then all the linux
partition's after that as ext2 which is the only way that it can format linux
natives. Then install Linux O/S and have it format the partitions you're
using for those as you create and give the mount points. Then as above:-
either never look at them again with partition magic or allow it to fix the
errors it sees and all will be well.

Red Hats diskdruid complains of Mandrake's diskdrake partitioning incorrectly
as well as partition magic. But usually states that it can work within those
parameters. So I really don't know how the errors affect anything, other than
esoterically or pedantically?

Everything still runs, but it is best to have Windows at the front of the
drive in the first partition.

Charlie.

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

This email is guaranteed to be Wholly Linux Mandrake 10.0, KMail v1.6.1 and
OpenOffice.org1.1.0
If you want to know Mandrake more intimately - look here:-)
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org