Okay, I formatted the Linux partitions, and did a fresh reinstall. I have
the SAME PROBLEM.

I have given up on trying to get Mandrake to work with my DSL modem. It
simply will not do so. I have a Linksys (Network Everywhere NR041) router
that I wasn't using, but I have now installed it. I can get online with it
just fine in Windows, but NOT in Linux. Every time I try to configure the
network in Linux, the program crashes. I forgot to mention it earlier
(sorry, because I know that was an important detail), but this has always
been the case.

I tried setting up the network as a "LAN" connection, and it asked me if I
wanted DHCP or manual, I think it was. I chose DHCP and got asked for
information that I don't have, such as a host name. I have no idea. All I
know is that I have SBC Yahoo! DSL that works flawlessly in Windows and not
at all in Linux.

I left this project alone for a while because I got frustrated with it. This
should be simple, but it's not. I'm almost ready to give up on Mandrake
completely if it won't even connect to the Net on my machine and either try
another distribution after I take some time away from this again or just put
the "I think I'll try Linux because I've heard great things about it and I'm
curious" project on the backburner again indefinitely.

My frustration isn't, of course, directed towards anyone on the list.
Everyone has been very helpful, and I really sincerely appreciate it. I just
wish I could get this to work! Aaaaarrgggghhh!!!

BTW, my NIC is being identified as a Realtek 8139 (I think that number is
correct). Is that actually supported hardware in Linux?

Thanks,
Jeff