On Sunday 25 July 2004 09:08 pm, Dave Ashmore wrote:
> <head>
>   <title></title>
> </head>
> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
> href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a> wrote:
> wrap="">My heartfelt thanks to Frans and Raffaele. The problem is fixed,
> kinda. XMMS still refuses to play mp3s or oggs properly, even those ripped
> by myself with Grip. Totem plays both, though, so XMMS is going to be
> uninstalled pronto. Shame, really, I like it better than Totem, but there
> you are.
>
> Totem, however, is still being rubbish with CDs. Not to worry, Grip
> plays them beautifully even if that's not its primary function. The
> problem with Grip was as easily solved as turning the volume up with
> alsamixer. Duh!
>
> AmÃlia Rodrigues singing fados. Ah, mellowness! :)
>
> Thanks guys,
> GermÃn.
>
> On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 21:39, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
>   </pre>
>     <pre wrap="">On Sunday 25 July 2004 16:57, <a
> class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
> href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a> wrote: </pre>
>       <pre wrap="">On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 21:09, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
>       </pre>
>         <pre wrap="">Try this (as root):
>
> Edit the /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf (back them up
> first) and remove all sound-related stuff (lines containing
> 'sound', 'sb', 'synth', 'opl3'). Also remove all sound-related
> modules from the kernel with rmmod.
>         </pre>
>       <pre wrap="">Done.
>
>       </pre>
>         <pre wrap="">Now try to insmod the snd-ess1688. If it works it will
> pull in all the necessary sound core modules.
>         </pre>
>       <pre wrap="">Done, with modprobe.
>
> The improvement is tremendous. In XMMS and Totem I can now listen to
> mp3s, but they still have glitches. As in, they suddenly skip bits or
> "jump a groove" as if they were vinils. The files are all right, I
> can play them on Winamp from a Windblows box on my network. Still,
> it's infinitely better than before, mp3-wise. XMMS is specially bad,
> Totem seems to do better.
>       </pre>
>     <pre wrap="">If your system is old check the CPU load with 'top'. I
> would also try encoding my own mp3: the mp3's you tried may have errors
> which Windows had a workaround for.
>
>     </pre>
>       <pre wrap="">The weirdness doesn't end, though. Not at all! Audio
> CDs, which Grip played beautifully when I had the mess I had before I
> uninstalled the OSS modules, are now giving me a hard time. Grip no longer
> plays them - the timer counts the seconds as if the track was playing, but
> there is no sound. Since I had to change the output plugin from libOSS.so
> to libALSA.so in ~/.xmms/config, I thought to do the same for Grip. </pre>
> [...]

Dave:
Perhaps this will help you see why it is considered a breech of netiquette to
post to a mail list in HTML. It is damn near unreadable. There are some other
reasons for not posting in HTML: First, it is one of the more common methods
of transporting various forms of malware (yet another MicroSoft Innovation),
there are many folks on this list who automatically dump all HTML into the
bitbucket. Second: It wastes space. Please change your Mozilla mail settings;
plain text works just fine.

-- cmg