Hi,

Thanks - I tried it, but no luck. I got exactly the same error messages, when I tried linux noapic & then again when I tried acpi=off.

Here are the errors, in more detail:

First, there is a dialog box saying:
Could not uncompress second stage ramdisk. There was probably a hardware error in reading data.

The logs for this stage said: trying to load /tmp/image/Mandrake/base/mdkinst_stage2.bz2 as a ramdisk reading compressed ramdisk: IO_ERROR unsetting automatic

The kernel messages at this stage were: hdc:rw=0, want=1351260, limit=1262784 Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 337814

Then the install continued. A small line at the bottom of the screen appeared, saying VERSION file missing. Then the language screen came.

At the language screen, for fun I tried selecting another language. Anyway, same story; I clicked 'Next', screen exits. I saw the following error messages on the screen:
Couldn't open RGB_DB 'usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb'
Gdk-warning: locale not supported
GLib-warning: getpwuid_r() failed due to unknown user id(0) at usr/bin/perl-install/install_gtk.pm line 229

& then the sending term signal, sending killall signal, etc; & finally it tells me it is now safe to restart your computer.

Sorry if these messages are less than 100% accurate; I was scribbling them down with a pencil as they appeared. :)

Once again, thanks in advance...hope this can be figured out! I like Mandrake too much to want to try another distro just yet...

Regards, Wafa.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No
matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got
there first, and is waiting for it."
                           --Terry Pratchett