[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

How can I get linux to recognize a digiboard?

I have an ISA PC8 card, on which I am trying to use the first 4 ports. Does anyone know what I should do to get my OS to recognize the first 4 ports on the digiboard as /dev/ttyS4 ... /dev/ttyS7?

I have gone through so many combinations of setting the dip switches on the board, on to "mknod" and "setserial", etc. But it doesn't seem to work.

After mknod, I used setserial and got the following result (I'm not so worried about ttyS2 and ttyS3):

# setserial -g /dev/ttyS?
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS4, UART: 16650, Port: 0x01a0, IRQ: 2
/dev/ttyS5, UART: 16650, Port: 0x01a8, IRQ: 2
/dev/ttyS6, UART: 16650, Port: 0x01b0, IRQ: 2
/dev/ttyS7, UART: 16650, Port: 0x01b8, IRQ: 2

I've tried the above settings with UART 16550A also.

I use a simple program which opens /dev/ttyS4 and /dev/ttyS5, writes into the former (which succeeds), and attempts to read from the latter (which fails). The two ports are connected via a null modem cable. The read() operation returns EAGAIN, indicating no data were available at the port to read.

int main()
{
        int res, fd1, fd2;
        char buf1[255], buf2[255];

        fd1 = open("/dev/ttyS4", O_RDWR| O_NDELAY);
        fd2 = open("/dev/ttyS5", O_RDWR| O_NDELAY);

        sprintf(buf1, "this is a test", sizeof("this is a test"));

        res = write(fd1, buf1, strlen(buf1));
        res = read(fd2, buf2, 5);

        return 0;
}

The dip switch settings of the first 4 digiboard ports and of the digiboard irq match the settings of /dev/ttyS4 ... /dev/ttyS7 as listed above.

However, I noticed that none of several combinations of the setserial command did not affect the irq values listed in /proc/interrupts.

Thanks in advance.

Raja Hayek.

The digiboard I had did not have 16550 UARTs on it. This may be part of the problem you are having. I was running the board with all the ports using the same IRQ. I do remember having problems with the board when hooking ports together with a null modem even is DOS. You may want to read the man page and documentation for setserial. On or the other has an example of setting up the board. There used to be a bunch information in /etc/rc.d/serial.rc, but I am not sure if the file is still part of the setserial package.

Depending on the age of the board, the UARTs may be socketed. If so, you can upgrade them. The board will work with a mix of UARTs on it.

Mikkel