On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 15:53, Thomas Wilkowski wrote:

> 1. Do I need an NVIDIA-kernel to get the generic
> drivers to work with this card?
> 2. Without a graphical interface how can I download
> and install the official nvidia drivers if that is
> what it is going to take?
> 3. Could the move have loused up the system in such a
> way that I would have to reinstall? I really doubt
> this, I mean its not like its a windoze partition.

1.) If you just "change drives over" - um, I think you're going to have
issues with the new hardware; you going to have to boot into console
mode and run XFdrake to reset the monitor settings and the video card
settings...

2.) The official NVidia drivers ARE part of the MDK 10.0 OE
installation.

3.) See number one.

ONE of the things you can do is let the machine get all the way to the
"black screen" - then hit CTRL-ALT-F2 - this SHOULD bring you to a
console login...login as the root user, run XFdrake, and get all the
settings right...

YET another reason why I prefer a console login to a graphical login -
easier to troubleshoot, easier to fix X problems, and not as much system
resource overload by just having GDM (or similar) running in the
background...

stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture
http://kma.0catch.com  :: mobile 0410.728.389
Serving Sydney, The Illawarra, South Coast and Rural NSW
  Mandrake GNU/Linux 10.0 OE/Kernel 2.6.3-7/ No Viruses here.

Academy: A modern school where football is taught. Institute: An archaic
school where football is not taught.