Hi all....

I've used SuSE for over five years, mostly in servers, and have been
experimenting with getting a workable desktop adjunct or replacement for
Windows.  Each successive SuSE distribution had come closer for my needs
with the exception of SuSE 9.0. which had major problems (e.g. taking over 9
minutes to boot).

I had lots of great help from the SuSE users on the mailing list but no help
from SuSE.  In the end it was an apparently buggy USB/hotplug boot processes
with no alternative except SuSE 9.1 - and it was having problems too.  My
motherboard has 4 USB 1.1 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports - probably the hardware
stimulus for the boot problems).

So I downloaded Slackware, Debian and Mandrake - and Mandrake 10.0 was a
breath of fresh air.  Here are the high points…

- Boot time:  >9 minutes *to* <90 seconds.

- Scanner: doesn't work except as superuser *to* works fine with normal user
after installation with no additional configuration.

- DualHead display: Requires trial and error with YAST *to* works after
installation with no additional configuration.

- Installation options: None available (to avoid problematic boot processes)
*to* available (e.g. disable hotplug).

- Vendor support: Promised, needed and non-existent *to* not needed.

- USB: problematic *to* no problems.

- KDE: Works OK *to* improved screen presentation e.g. more suitable
configuration from install.

- Speed: Slower than Win2K *to* Faster than Win2K and much faster than SuSE
9.0

- Kernel: 2.4… optimized for AMD *to* 2.6… not optimized.

- Ease of installation: Very long with moderate difficulty *to* fast and
easy.

- Graphic installation: Pretty but sometimes confusing *to* simple and
straightforward.

- Printer: Worked after additional configuration *to* worked after
installation with no additional configuration.

- GRUB: Restore MBR fails *to* Restore MBR works.

- VGA boot screen: flips back and forth from graphic to text, text hard to
read *to* easy to read (except it goes so fast) text mode.

- User group support: Great *to* too soon to tell but looks good.

I don't want to start a big X vs. Y thread here, I'm sure there are many
features of SuSE that are better than Mandrake, but here I'm focusing on the
problems I had with SuSE that basically made it unusable for me as a
desktop.

Look forward to working with the Mandrake community…

Larry Johnson, KeepItSimpleEngineering,Inc.