On July 30, 2004 14:15:02, deedee emrys wrote:
> I'm trying to get mplayer to work on a 9.1 Mandrake system. After going
> through the logs and correcting a bunch of problems, I am unable to receive
> video output and get the following error message from mplayer:
>
> "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
> vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
> display)"

Not with that "graphics adapter" you won't! Reduce the resolution and the
depth if you actually want anything usable.

> I ran 'xvinfo' as suggested in the logs and got the following:
>
> X-Video Extension version 2.2
> screen #0
>  no adaptors present
>
> The video card is SiS650/651/740 GUI 2D/3D Accelerator. Mandrake
> indicates the kernel module is "unknown" and media class is
> display_vga.

What kernel? Have you upgraded? I'd at least install the multi-media kernel
that was available in contribs, but there should have been at least one
update kernel available as well.

I also vaguely recall from customer's "budget boxes" with that chipset that
the SiS chipset wasn't fully supported until at least 9.2 or 10.0. I could be
wrong though since I have a list of customer systems and routinely back them
up and do a frsh install of the latest release of Mandrake.

> "mplayer -vo help" produced a list of 22 available drivers, including
> xv, x11, ggi, and so forth.
>
> The other remaining error concerns fonts:
>
> font: can't open file: $HOME/.mplayer/font/font.desc
> font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
>
> My system doesn't have the file "/font/font.desc" -- I did a search and
> it doesn't appear to exist.

There's a newer mplayer for 9.1 from PLF. See below.

> I installed mplayer from a Mandrake 9.1 binary,
> mplayer-0.90-0.rc4.5.91mdk.i586.rpm.

That's the correct package for 9.1 "Official." It's from the updates
directory. But there's a newer one from PLF.

> Any ideas on how I can get video output from mplayer?
>
> Thanks,
> deedee

Try adding a plf source so you can install all of the "questionable" audio and
video codecs. In a terminal as super user paste this:

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/10.0 with
hdlist.cz

and strike the Enter key. Then do

urpmi mplayer [Enter]

Or even:

urpmi --auto-select [Enter]

to do it all at once but be careful with that one! There are no guarantess and
I don't know what other sources you have defined for packages.

Let the list know if any of it helps? Thanks.

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Alpha 1) for i586 kernel 2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk
Little girls, like butterflies, need no excuse.
                -- Lazarus Long