On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:09:37 -0500
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Do you have security set to high?  This turns off ping replies
> regardless of the firewall setting.

Winning response... thank you.  I changed the security level from
4 to 3 and can now ping and ssh to the new server.  But now I
have another question...

Is there a way to use a higher security level and tweak it to
enable certain types of access.  E.g., I don't really care about
not having ping, but would like to have ssh.  I see a couple of
files (security.4 and security.5) in /etc/security/msec... is it
possible that the .4 and .5 correspond to levels and lists what's
allowed?

Brenda Bell
Henniker (the only one on earth)
New Hampshire (the state with 5 seasons: black fly, tourist, foliage, ski and mud)
... but we're not allowed to shoot the tourists :)