On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:02:23 -0400, JoeHill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:46:19 -0500
> flesh.99 disseminated the following:
>
> > When you press the sync button on your visor (button for lack of a
> > better word) have a terminal window open and running (as root) tail -f
> > /var/log/messages this will show you what it is doing. It could be
> > just not creating /dev/pilot in which case you would need to try and
> > and connect to the actual port, which for my Sony Clie is
> > /dev/ttyUSB0. This would be due to usb hotplug having gone sideways, I
> > can't help you fix that, but I may be able to help you connect to your
> > device again. Just let us see the messages from /var/log/messages when
> > you click sync on the device and we can go from there.
>
> Hey, thanks for replying, but I got all petulant and impatient (shirley not me!)
> and rebooted and it 'solved' the problem <sigh>.
>
> Anyhow, I did some digging after I posted, subscribed to the JPilot list and
> checked out their archives, and there was a suggestion to unload and reload the
> visor module, ie. 'rmmod' (new one to me) and then 'insmod' or 'modprobe'. That
> did not work for me, hence the knee-jerk reaction to reboot.
>
> Of course, following your suggestion now, all is peachy-keen:
>
> Aug  4 15:53:09 node1 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address
> 5 Aug  4 15:53:09 node1 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0
> / Clié 4.x converter detected Aug  4 15:53:09 node1 kernel: visor.c: Handspring
> Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: Number of ports: 2 Aug  4 15:53:09 node1
> kernel: visor.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: port 1, is for
> Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0 Aug  4 15:53:09 node1 kernel: visor.c:
> Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: port 2, is for HotSync use and is
> bound to ttyUSB1 Aug  4 15:53:09 node1 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor /
> Treo / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for
> devfs) Aug  4 15:53:09 node1 kernel: usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm
> 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs) Aug  4
> 15:53:14 node1 /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup visor for USB product 82d/100/100
>
> When you say 'This would be due to usb hotplug having gone sideways', is this a
> fault in devfs? In the future (if this ever happens again, knock wood), would be
> possible to 'restart' just devfs? Or does that in itself require a reboot? Is
> there a kernel version less prone to this problem (other than 2.6, tried that
> with monumental failure)? I am currently running 2.4.22-21.tmb.1mdk.
>
> In any case, many thanks for the reply! I will make a greater effort at patience
> next time...really ;-)
>
> --
> JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.freeyourmachine.org
> 15:47:04 up 15:28, 6 users, load average: 2.13, 2.11, 2.10
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> "Apartheid will be dismantled, and its victims will remember those who helped to
> [...]

Well I don't know if it is actually devfs related. I use Sony Clies so
I have had to become familiair with the visor module due to the fact
that they are never supported quickly, usually two kernel releases
out. I had to hack in support and usb hotplug of course didn't know
what to do with the module, so I stopped using /dev/pilot on any
system and simply use the ttyUSB0 as it is created upon the module
recognizing the device and not on usb hotplug. Usb hotplug creates
/dev/pilot but not the other. The reason for this is if you multiple
devices you sould end up with jpilot no knowing where to look for them
so a central /dev/pilot makes it very easy. I wouldn't think it was
devfs issue, but can't be certain as we didn't see the log output
prior to the reboot. Thanks for letting us know it was fixed though,
that's a;ways nice.

I am using kernel 2.6.3 right now and it seems to be fine for what I
need, and the module recognized my Clie with no issues, of course I am
about to upgrade my PDA again so it may mean more module hacking for
me.

--
This is me with the words on the tip of my tongue and my eye through the scope
down the barrel of a gun, remind me not to ever act this way again