On Sunday 08 August 2004 01:22 pm, Tango Echo wrote:
> On my Mandrake 10 OE home install I recently tried to
> upgrade my kernel and nvidia graphics driver.  That's
> what started this whole problem.
>
> First I installed my newer driver, 2.6.3-15mdk, and
> booted into with no problems.  As usual, when I
> upgrade the kernel I need to reinstall my vid driver.
>
> I downloaded the 1.0-6111 version of the geforce
> driver that was released Aug 5th.  From the
> 2.6.3-15mdk KDE session I ran init 3 to install the
> driver as usual.  When I attempted to run the file I
> got a strange error about a rivafb (something like
> that?) module being loaded but it would be able to
> continue.  Since it didn't seem serious I continued.
> The install failed while trying to build the kernel
> for nvidia. The nvidia log didn't produce any
> immediate clues, either.  So I uninstalled and tried
> it under my 2.6.3-13mdk kernel. That failed too...
>
> Now, I have no graphics accelleration and I keep
> getting this strange error in KDE:
> SIGSEGV crashed with signal 11
> ...That is paraphrased, but it appears in the generic
> KDE crash window with the picture of a bomb/gear.
> First it appears when I boot into KDE then randomly
> thoughout the day.
>
> Any ideas here?  The errors are annoying and obviously
> not healthy.  Plus I can't play any games...

There seems to be an issue with the latest nvidia release,  I have the
same setup as you on two machines and the "6111" driver refuses to
install complaining in the install log about the kernel having to have
"make mrproper" run on it.  I tryed this on one computer and no go,  so
i grabbed the last nvidia release "6106" and it installed on both
macheines no problem.
Maybe someones else can help with the SIGSEGV your getting but i wonder
if the "6106" nvidia driver might clear that up ?

Regards,
Dan Gordon
--
Sun Aug  8 13:37:18 EDT 2004
 13:37:18 up 22 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.20, 0.09