Todd Slater wrote:
On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 07:27:59PM -0400, Marv Boyes wrote:

Hello, all. Can anyone recommend an image viewer in the same vein as gThumb or gqview that displays GIMP .xcf files without hassle?
<snip>
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated; thanks very much in advance.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're after, but here are a few
thoughts.

Basically, I was looking for a gqview clone that handles .xcf files. [Read on...]

> If you're in a directory of images, you can do:

display 'vid:*'

A-HA! This is _exactly_ what I was looking for! (or, rather, close enough that I can use it). It would never have occurred to me that ImageMagick would have what I needed. I've been spoiled by the menubars of too many GUI apps. ;)

You see, I do a _lot_ of editing in the GIMP, and leave a lot of in-progress stuff laying about in .xcf format (and, shame on me, my filenames aren't always terribly descriptive). gqview ignores them, Gthumb, Konqueror, and Nautilus won't display them, and hunt-and-peck with the GIMP is a pain. ImageMagick's display, properly managed, is just about right.

And of course, the contents of .xvpics didn't occur to me, either. You've suggested a lot of possibilities for .xcf image management here. Thanks!

Marv -- Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's leisure time to [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/ --