I assume you are running this as user 'john'.  For some reason you
don't have permission to write to the /home/john/.spamassassin directory.

As root:
chown john.john /home/john
chown -R john.john /home/john/.spamassassin
chmod u+rwx,g+rx /home/john /home/john/.spamassassin

Now run the sa-learn command as user 'john'.

I don't know what directory your mail is kept in.  I use Courier maildirs.
So my INBOX is /home/bill/Maildir/cur and /home/bill/Maildir/new.

HTH,

Bill