On Wednesday 18 August 2004 12:48 pm, Anguo wrote:
> On Thursday 19 August 2004 01:11 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> > dmesg > dmesg.txt
>
> Thank you Ronald and Hoyt for the quick reply.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot find the message I was looking for.
>
> A power cut crashed my computer. So during bootup, there was
> a message about files being deleted during /home/ fsck. I
> cannot find a reference of what files were deleted...

    I doubt any were, specially if you're using a journaled file
system.  Which you should be doin.

> have a backup, but I need to know what to backup (some
> config files less screw up my kde..)...
>
> Any idea?

   'dmesg' is a binary that gives current messages.

  I believe what you're lookin for is 'cat /var/log/dmesg |less'
which will gives you the mesgs from when you last booted. The
mesgs you're lookin for won't be there tho. Without knowing what
type(s) of file system you're using, you'll just need to look
around in var/log/ and it subdirectories for what you want. I'd
use 'mc' to do that. Caution tho, warnings are not errors.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American