On Sunday 22 August 2004 15:28, Steve Jeppesen wrote:
> this relates to the link Todd S. posted to which I cannot connect to;
> http://clevername.homeip.net/2004_08_21-00_33_35.png
>
> the message that appears states "clevername.homeip.net could not be
> found.  Please check the name and try again."
>
> I think I know what is wrong but am at a loss as to how to fix it now.
>
> I have registered ampster.homeip.net at DynDNS.org for which I used to
> host some things on our server.
>
> Since we are both using the .homeip.net part, and I obviously do not
> have Todd's site listed in any of our /etc/hosts files (server and
> clients), is it possible that this is preventing me from connecting to
> his site?
>
> To make matters worse (possibly?) my /etc/hosts file on the server
> *used* to show;
> 24.whateveripwasusedthen ampster.homeip.net
>
> and now shows
> 24.118.7.161 server.homeip.net
>
> Yes, I changed names during the last MD upgrade on the server without
> realizing all the issues which it would affect.  DOH!  The idea here was
> to attempt a naming convention across our home lan that would make sense
> to people browsing the network. First names of our family members were
> used for their computer names (netbios), and for the server -
> server.homeip.net or Server (again, netbios)
>
> Current home network setup,
> server MD10 official
> 2 MD10 official clients
> 3 various M$ clients
>
> DynDNS.org is kept current with ampster.homeip.net.  Tried changing it
> to server.homeip.net but that name was taken.
>
> My local /etc/hosts file shows (for example)
> 192.168.1.15 steve.homeip.net steve
>
> Is this setup a mess and or causing me not to be able to connect to
> Todd's site?
>
> As I re-read what I have typed, it appears the way to fix this is to
> change the hostname of the server back to ampster.homeip.net, and keep
> the server's smb.conf setting of netbios name = server
>
> Would I need to correct the server's /etc/hosts file to read
> "24.118.7.161 ampster.homeip.net server" (minus quotes) as well?
>
> TIA
> Steve

By putting '192.168.1.15 steve.homeip.net steve'  in your hosts table you are
claiming that the domain homeip.net is on the subnet 192.168.1.x  so whenever
you try to visit Todds site it will be looking on 192.168.1.x

You do not need to declare your servers external IP address (the interface
facing your ISP) in your hosts table at all.You will find the address through
DNS lookup.

The internal address (facing your local net) must be in a different domain to
the external interface.  It is quite acceptable to make up a domain name such
as 'localdomain' As in

192.168.1.15   steve.localdomain steve
192.168.1.1     server.localdomain server

DNS is not used to discover IP addresses in the internal network, so you must
put entries in the hosts table.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net