On the windows boxes, what ip addr is resolving DNS for them?
If your server is not resolving DNS for them it doesn't matter
how you configure the server!!

I would add .lan to the end so that your boxes have a FQDN:
192.168.1.15    steve.homenetwork.lan    steve

I, personally, would run my own DNS server and tell my windows
PC's to use it.  Then, I can make any name to resolve to any
address.  If this is interesting, ask how.

HTH,
Bill