On Wednesday 25 August 2004 15:30, Peter Davis wrote:
> I just installed Mandrake 10.0 on my Dell XPS T500 last week.  I've used
> various flavors of *n*x in the past, but this is my first experience
> with Linux.  So far, I'm very pleased, but I have a few questions.
>
> 1) Is there a way to get the KDE terminal icon to bring up a terminal
> with tcsh instead of bash?
>
> 2) I've tried installing various rpms from various network sites, but
> the installer always tells me there some component or other missing.  Is
> there anything like cpan, where installing will automatically install
> all the required software?  I installed nmh 1.1 RC3 by hand, but I'm
> trying to get sylpheed-claws, SpamAssassin, and various other things.
>
> 3) How come there's no link -s?  All I can find is plain link.  Is this
> a hard or soft link?
>
> Thanks.  I'm sure there will be thousands more as I proceed.
>
> -pd

Welcome I hope you have fun with your new experience.

Pull up userdrake from the Mandrake ControlCentre>System  to choose the login
shell for your user. I do not know the relative merits of the shells, but if
you like tcsh then you can have it.You may need to install an RPM first)

Installation in Mandrake is by 'urpmi'  It allows you to get packages from all
over the internet and resolves all dependencies and fetches the deppendencies
for you. All you need to do is define some online urpmi sources.
Read about urpmi on the Wiki from my sig.

Make sure you add sources for Charles Edwards download site. He has up to date
spamassassin and other stuff.  (Really good quality)
http://www.eslrahc.com/

It is a good idea for a newbie to stick to RPMs made for the distro you are
running.

Have fun

derek

--