On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:30 am, Alan Shoemaker wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 03:01 pm, charlie wrote:
> > I couldn't get the win modem to work because 9.2 didn't supply
> > a kernel source and I am in very slow dial up. That is the problem with
> > that lappy, no serial port. But someone posted something about a modem
> > card that might be the way to go. But haven't investigated it as yet.
> > Price is about $AU135.oo.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Charlie
>
> arrgggghhhhh....!  if australian dollars are anywhere close in value to
> american dollars, then that price is awful!!!  check this out:
>
> http://www.meritline.com/zfm5600-v-92-56kb-fax-modem-pcmcia-pc-card.html
>
> and note at the bottom of the page thay have an aussie flag icon marked:
>
> 'Australia customers, click here.'  i've used this brand/model pcmcia
> hardware modem with my toshiba laptop for several years now.

Thanks Alan,

I don't know anything about these cards, but read something about them on this
or the expert list some time back.

I looked at the above website and then moved to the one in OZ, but copying the
exact name in had no results there, and also typing in pcmcia modem card had
no result. So maybe there is something about the card that is not accepted in
Oz. I have only ever found one, that being the one which I posted the price
on.

I don't think they are much used in this country. But when I bought the lappy
I didn't check, but just assumed [ which as it turned out, made an ass of
me ] a serial port. We are about to move to solar power, and the lappy will
drag less power.

The $Au is valued at about half the US dollar.

I will keep looking, there is no option but dial up in the bush here.

Thanks again.

Charlie.

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524