On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 21:25, Chris wrote:
> This an odd question and there may not be a valid answer, but here goes.
> About every 10days the system locks up for seemingly unrelated reasons.
> For instance, last time it happened it locked up while one of the
> X-Screensavers was running.  I noted which one was on the screen at the
> time and disabled it.  I've since only enabled two of the screensavers,
> Nose Guy and Phosper.  Last night I installed FSV just to see how it
> looked, install went fine and it ran great, tonight I brought it up, went
> to open a directory and the system locked up tighter than a drum, uptime
> was at about 10days, 20+ hrs.  Last time the lockup came at about the same
> amount of uptime.  This is with MDK 9.0.  Althought I've gone 30+ days
> previously before I had to hit the reset due to a lockup and if I remember
> that was due to a game that the system just didn't like.  Any ideas on what
> could be the problem?

Install lm-sensors and start monitoring your motherboard and cpu
temperatures to eliminate that as a possibility.  Sometimes a system fan
will get clogged with dust and the cpu temp will climb to borderline
levels; this is especially true with AMD cpus, which are notorious for
maintaining deceptively respectable behavior right up until they flake
out.

I have also seen AMD's that are overclocked pass Prime95 tests
perfectly, but still lock up after a few days.  This probably isn't your
case but high case or cpu temperatures can cause the same thing to
happen.

I would say that you could have a program running that has a memory
leak, but it sounds like you've reinstalled and had the same symptoms
across multiple installs.  This would pretty much eliminate the memory
leak possibility.

If you want to try to narrow it down to hardware a little better, what
you can do is run the box at runlevel 3 for 11+ days and see if it locks
up without a gui running.  That would give is a little more information.

It also wouldn't hurt for you to download the sysrescuecd and run some
hardware checks and a test of the memory:

http://www.sysresccd.org/download.en.php

Regardless of how you feel about your hardware or your confidence level
you should still follow troubleshooting procedure and eliminate memory
and cpu as possibilities.

LX