On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:56:47 -0700
Amy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with postscript files at all, Anything special about
> them, or is it just basically a sort of text document or something?

Postscript files are essentially programs. But they're (usually) programs dedicated to
describing the layout of graphics or text on a page. A postscript interpreter may be
living in the printer you use, or there's one installed with nearly every linux
distribution, called ghostscript. Most programs that produce printer output can output
Postscript, which is then interpreted by ghostscript which produces a "page image"
which then can be sent to the printer.

gv is a good postscript viewer, but it may not be installed by default. Konqueror
handles postscript and pdf files fairly nicely as well.

> As for the pdf file option, it's nice to know I can do that, but I
> suspect it won't work for me, since pdfs and I usually don't agree all

More complicated pdf files take more time to produce. I remember a transit system map
taking ages to render on my ancient system (Pentium I) but now the same file renders
in just a few minutes. But I don't foresee that you would have difficulty just viewing
pdf files from other sources.