On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:12:42 +0200
Katinka Peter disseminated the following:

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just like the error says, you need a C compiler to build Apache. Along with, I
am quite sure, a boatload of development libraries.

You can install the necessary tools from Mandrake Control Center --> Software
Management --> Install, under 'Development'.

Not to be condescending, but if you are not familiar with building from source,
Apache is one of the *last* things I would recommend installing from source. I
can see that process being a major beotch, making sure you install it with the
correct dependencies and functionality, and if you are not even familiar with
the GNU C Compiler...well, save yourself the frustration, unless there is some
compelling reason you want to build from source.

Much, much easier way is to just use the Mandrake Software tools to install.
Either (in a terminal, as root):

urpmi apache2

or use the Software Management interface in Mandrake Control Center as described
above. You'll be up and running in minutes instead of hours/days.

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.freeyourmachine.org
16:28:48 up 39 days, 16:14, 6 users, load average: 0.35, 0.14, 0.05