On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 12:13, Derek Jennings wrote:
> Marvellous new for all HitchHiker fans is the broadcast of a new radio series
> based on the last three books starting on 21st Sept
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/
>
> Now the question is. How can I record a real audio stream?
> RealPlayer 10 plays the preview stream OK, but I cannot persuade mplayer to
> play it.
>
> Preview stream is here
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/media/hitchhikers_trail.ram
>
> derek

You can record with sox if your soundcard (AND IT'S DRIVERS) support
full duplex.  If your card doesn't support full duplex, then you can
still get full duplex by downloading a better set of sound drivers than
what's in the kernel.  You can get them from opensound.com.

Using the opensound drivers, I regularly record netbroadcasts using the
record device provided by the opensound drivers, which in my case is set
to be dsp7.

Sox is told to use the hardware recording device

[EMAIL PROTECTED] elx]# cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Linux 3.99.1f (C) 4Front Technologies 1996-2004

License serial number: N0X987GPP
Drivers: MIX VORTEX INTELPCI
This copy of OSS is licensed to L. Xaphir

Build: 200408222004

Card config:
Intel ICH AC97 audio controller at 0xd000 irq 21
MPU-401 (UART) at 0x330 irq 5
(Intel ICH AC97 audio controller)
MPU-401 (UART) at 0x300 irq 7
OSS Virtual Mixer Pro
(OSS Virtual Mixer Pro)

Audio devices:
0: Nvidia nForce2 (DUPLEX)
1: Nvidia nForce2 (shadow) (DUPLEX)
2: Nvidia nForce2 (S/PDIF) (GRC3)
3: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #0 (GRC3)
4: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #1 (GRC3)
5: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #2 (GRC3)
6: OSS Virtual Mixer v2.5 Playback CH #3 (GRC3)
7: SoftOSS v2.0 Record CH #0 (GRC3)
8: SoftOSS v2.0 Record CH #1 (GRC3)
9: SoftOSS v2.0 Record CH #2 (GRC3)

Synth devices:
0: OSS Virtual Synth v2.5

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 (UART)
1: MPU-401 (UART)

Mixers:
0: AC97 Mixer (ALC650)
1: Virtual Mixer

That's the sound device layout.  You can have as many record devices as
you set the config files to give you, or you can have as many playback
devices as you set your oss config files to give.  The limit is your
hardware.

The sox command line for this configuration is:

sox -V -c 2 -r 22050 -t ossdsp -w -s /dev/dsp7 gop_1083104.ogg

Do man sox for a description of the options presented.  "-t ossdsp" is
actually supposed to designate a file type, because sox was originally
designed to convert one kind of sound file into another kind.  The
conversion possibilities are endless; but in this case, the file type is
designated to be the sound card hardware itself, which sox uses instead
of a sound file.  In this case, sox is recording directly to ogg format.

It could just as easily record to any other file format.  I just use ogg
for netbroadcasts because it is twice the quality of mp3 in the same
space.

LX