I just got a GMail account and am experimenting with using GMail as
the ultimate knowledge repository for my mailing lists.  Over time I
should be able to amass quite the little knowledge base all completely
searchable with Google's search engine!

Thanks, David. But, how can one get a GMail account?

From  GMail site:

«How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test. If you're interested in receiving updates on Gmail, submit your email address using the form at the bottom of this page.»

Paul