Does anyone know what the particuliars are if any for hard drives and
linux...  I have purchased a new motherboard and have a 4.2gb Ultra DMA 2
Maxtor hard drive spec 8184cyl 16hd 63sec.  I  have set it up using Large,
LBA, and Normal bios settings.  I have it jumpered to master. and it is on
the primary ide controller.  i have tried disabling Ultra DMA 2 and set it
pio 2.  on all of the settings the following happens first it hangs during
the initial boot up after installation at the part where mounts the hard
drive and says" this is not a linux native"  and then it says "resetting
hard" and it continues to load as normal.  The system will run fine but if
you do a shut down and halt, after the services are halted it produces a
bunch of messages speaking of kernel dumps and errors.  I have also tried a
2gb hd and had the same results.