On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Does anyone know what the particuliars are if any for hard drives and
> linux...  I have purchased a new motherboard and have a 4.2gb Ultra DMA 2
> Maxtor hard drive spec 8184cyl 16hd 63sec.  I  have set it up using Large,
> LBA, and Normal bios settings.  I have it jumpered to master. and it is on
> the primary ide controller.  i have tried disabling Ultra DMA 2 and set it
> pio 2.  on all of the settings the following happens first it hangs during
> the initial boot up after installation at the part where mounts the hard
> drive and says" this is not a linux native"  and then it says "resetting
> hard" and it continues to load as normal.  The system will run fine but if
> you do a shut down and halt, after the services are halted it produces a
> bunch of messages speaking of kernel dumps and errors.  I have also tried a
> 2gb hd and had the same results.

Mandrake 6.0? Go get the updated kernel and initscripts.
This is a known problem and the solution has been known for
sometime since Mandrake 6.0 was released. If you go to (for
example) ftp.linux-mandrake.com and go to the
/pub/updates/6.0/RPMS directory, you'll see the file
"initscripts-4.16-31.mdk.i586.rpm. Grab that and install it
with "rpm -Uvh initscripts....." and also upgrade your
kernel with a newer one than ships with the 6.0 version of
Mandrake.
        John